Sunday, August 9, 2015

On Perseverence

One of the things that's really hard for me to work through at times is being confused.  I don't like being confused and this is, in fact, the only thing that can prevent me from reaching my goal of being a competent coder.  Confusion leads to a loss of confidence which can inspire feelings like "this just isn't my thing", "I am no good at this".  As I read through more and more stories of people coding I have seen over and over again that being baffled is a natural part of learning to code.

In this spirit, I have continued on with Pine's Learning to Program and have nearly finished reading it and taking notes on it.  While I am not capable of doing all of the exercises, the book still has a great deal to teach me and I have learned quite a bit by reading and taking good notes even if it is not all clear to me.  Three weeks ago, I knew nothing, now I have a solid foundation in terminology and can write basic programs.


Total hours into Programming: 52 (5 yesterday)
My Text game: 2 hours, 107 lines
Chris Pine's Learn to Program (Finished with Chapter 12 of 14)
Progress on Hartl's Tutorial Ready to start Chapter 3! 
Code Academy Points: 546
Code Academy Badges: 58
Code Academy Skills Finished: 2 (Make a Website, Ruby)

No comments:

Post a Comment