Friday, August 14, 2015

Git Immersion Tutorial

So I broke down and purchased Josh Kemp's "No Degree, No Problem" (more on that later) and one of the early lessons I kind of skipped over was a brief tutorial on the version control utility "Git".  As I understand it, this is simply a way to track the changes to your programs as well as collaborate and share your work through GitHub where folks can presumable browse and edit your work without destroying all past versions of it.

Git is one of those things you just have to learn about and it does make some basic sense.  The tricky part about it is that you have to work on a terminal to use it and it works best with its own Terminal (GitBash).  Does everything need its own terminal, really?  However, I was able to work through the first 12 or 13 lessons as well as establish my own SSH key with only mild frustration and a few searches of Stack Overflow.

Do I totally understand Git and how it works?  Hell no.  However, I have a broad sense of how it works and have now worked through it twice on a basic level, the first bring when I did the early portions of Hartl's tutorial.  I do plan to finish that, but I am working on a few earlier steps first because it has a bit of a reputation as a beast of a tutorial.

Are you on GitHub? I would love to see some work and check out how people use it if you are!

Total hours into Programming: 62 (3 today)
My Text game: 2 hours, 107 lines

Progress on Shaw's Learning Ruby the Hard Way: Finished Exercise 1-5

TreeHouse (228 Points, 4 Badges) 
Code Academy Points: 568
Code Academy Badges: 60
Code Academy Skills Finished: 2 (Make a Website, Ruby)
Progress on Hartl's Tutorial Ready to start Chapter 3! 

Resources Finished:
Josh Kemp's No Degree, No Problem 8/14/2015
Chris Pine's Learn to Program 8/9/2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment