Sunday, August 2, 2015

Code Academy Python Course Review at 30%

While it is entirely possible that the completion of the Code Academy Ruby course made this one go down quite a bit smoother, I am really liking the Code Academy Python course.  I think it features the correct amount of guidance and practice to this point.  At times (even early) in the Ruby course, I felt like the exercises and lessons were not readily solvable with what I had been given in the lesson.  In Python I have probably completed over 100 lessons and have only had to refer to the forums a handful of times.  This is in direct contrast to my experience with Ruby wherein I was seemingly in the forums nearly during every lesson.  There were also a few times in the Ruby tutorial where I ceded that I would simply paste the code and move on without a true grasp of the content.

I have gotten everything so far in Python.  I think the major reason for this is that this tutorial features more practice (though I still wish there were more exercises!).  I have been trying to do the exercises with as little guidance as possible and so far I have made it through sections on basic syntax, types of variables, built in functions, control flow, modules, and built in Python modules and I have a really nice grasp on what is going on.  In short, I love it so far!

Note:  I am waiting until the quiet evening to restart chapter 2 of Hartl's Rails tutorial...wish me luck!

Total hours into Programming: 37 (2 today)
Progress on Hartl's Tutorial 2.0.0 (got the 2.2.1, but am starting this section this evening)
Code Academy Points: 419
Code Academy Badges: 48
Code Academy Skills Finished: 2 (Make a Website, Ruby)

No comments:

Post a Comment