Friday, August 7, 2015

Battleship and Pine

Continued on today with Code Academy, well over halfway done with their Python course.  I am working now on the Battleship game they have you make.  Now that I have gotten about halfway through the tutorial, there is a lot of looking up of the problems in the forums.  I often find myself pasting the correct code next to mine and comparing to see where I went wrong or what I do not know.  There was a message posted to the local forums which expressed frustration at a similar situation.  If you always have to go to the forums in every lesson are you learning it yourself and will you realistically be able to replicate it?  I say, probably not which is why I love Code Academy as a starting point but not necessarily as an ending point.

Meanwhile, I continued on in Pine's Learn to Program with Ruby.  I have finished up to Chapter 9 and have to say that I continue to enjoy the explanations and hands on activities spread throughout this book.  I have managed to completed a couple of the challenges with no help and the rest of them I have done with some guidance from his answers in the back.  Whereas I used to totally freeze up when being asked to start writing my own code in response to a problem, Learning to Program has gotten me more comfortable writing my own code without the Code Academy scaffold.  I have also learned a great deal more about the details of the syntax because you just find yourself at the prompt running test programs all the time in this volume (which I like).

Total hours into Programming: 47 (3 yesterday)
Chris Pine's Learn to Program (Finished with Chapter 8 of 14)
Progress on Hartl's Tutorial Ready to start Chapter 3! 
Code Academy Points: 495
Code Academy Badges: 54
Code Academy Skills Finished: 2 (Make a Website, Ruby)

No comments:

Post a Comment