Monday, August 17, 2015

Computer Science 256: Computer Programming Day 1

So I went to Computer Programming I today and I thought it was going to be 6 people.  It was over 20!  Apparently the course is cross listed as both compsci and computer information systems so I was only seeing the computer science students.  I sat next to two of my former students which was a little surreal and they kept asking me questions.  Luckily, I knew most of the answers at this stage but it was still a little weird.  We went through the installation of Python, learned some basic stuff about Python, and created the classic "Hello, World!" program.

It's too early in the process to say whether the course will be of great help or not.  I obviously knew everything that was happening today, but I feel pretty optimistic about it and it will hopefully keep me focused and accountable with my coding goals.  We are using Starting Out With Python by Tony Gaddis which is really expensive compared to many of the other resources out there, but I am holding out hope that it will be a great resource along with the course's instruction.  Luckily, one of my old students is loaning me the book!

So far, so good!


Total hours into Programming: 70 (1 today)
Total Weeks Programming/Hours per week: 3/23

 Progress on Shaw's Learning Ruby the Hard Way: Finished Exercise 1-9
CSC Class/Homework Time: 1 Hour

My Text game: 2 hours, 107 lines

TreeHouse (487 Points, 8 Badges) 

Code Academy Points: 630
Code Academy Badges: 65
Code Academy Skills Finished: 2 (Make a Website, Ruby)
Progress on Hartl's Tutorial Ready to start Chapter 3! 

Resources Finished:
Josh Kemp's No Degree, No Problem 8/14/2015
Chris Pine's Learn to Program 8/9/2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment