Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Diving into SQLite DataBases with TreeHouse

A my previous posts indicate, my experience with TreeHouse has overall been very positive with the exception of the Rails example app course.  Ultimately, I decided to simply watch the course and take the quizzes without a serious attempt at doing it myself.  For reasons outlined before, I found the course pretty much impossible to do at my level.  While this experience did have me second guessing myself a bit, I have decided to push through the Rails Track and then find another source for learning Rails foundations.  The early leader is Daniel Kehoe's Rails for Beginners.

In the meantime, the TreeHouse courses seem to have reverted to their normal accessible selves.  After Rails is a course on database fundamentals which I have been enjoying quite a bit. Previously I had to idea what "SQL" was and I am enjoying learning some basics about it.  One of the things that's pretty overwhelming about learning to program is the sheer volume of information, languages, development tools, and directions you can go.  You are always learning brand new things and always approaching something totally cold.  I love it, but it can get overwhelming at times.  Currently, I am feeling the full weight of that.  Learning new things gets tougher as you get older, I think.  I am only 36, but it feels like there is always a voice in the back of your head saying :forget about this, you can't do it!", especially after the last course.  That said, I am pressing on, I will figure this out!


Code Report!

Resources in Progress:
Total hours into Programming: 104 (4 since last time )
Days into Programming/Hours per day: 2.7 Hours Per Day (Goal:3.0)

Progress on Gaddis' Starting out with Python: Done With Chapter 1, Appendix A,B


Progress on Shaw's Learning Ruby the Hard Way: Finished Exercise 1-13

My Text game: 3 hours, 118 lines

TreeHouse (2806 Points, 34 Badges)

Code Academy Points: (745 points, 77 badges)

Progress on Hartl's Tutorial Ready to start Chapter 3! 

Resources Finished:
Josh Kemp's No Degree, No Problem 8/14/2015

Chris Pine's Learn to Program 8/9/2015

TreeHouse Make a Website Track 8/17/2015
TreeHouse Ruby Basics 8/20/2015
TreeHouse JavaScript Basics 8/22/2015
TreeHouse Console Foundations 8/24/2015 
TreeHouse Git Basics 8/25/2015
TreeHouse Installing a Ruby Environment 8/26/2015
TreeHouse Making a ToDo Rails App 8/31/15

Code Academy Make a Website Course 7/29/2015


Code Academy Ruby Course 8/5/2015
Code Academy HTML and CSS Course 8/24/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment